Friday, March 14, 2014

Where my story begins…


There are times in our lives when things happen and we think they only happen to 'other' people...

Today I became one of those 'other' people.

Last year around November I found a lump in one of my breasts. I did not think much of it as I've had a lump before that ended up being nothing. It started out pretty small and I figured I would wait to go because I needed to find a new Dr. and that was a pretty big headache. Fast forward to February...I notice that lump is quite a bit larger. For the last several weeks it has become uncomfortable and painful. At this point I was thinking it might be a clogged milk duct, or maybe that's what I was hoping for. I found a new Dr. and saw him this morning. The lump has been qualified as a mass, and measures about 7cmx3cm, and has a nodule at one end. I was sent in for a diagnostic mammogram which also took place today. This proved that there was a mass and needed further imaging to see things more clearly. An ultra-sound was done and determined that it's not a boy or a girl. :) Through this it was determined that the lump was not liquid filled but is a solid mass. It may be one mass, or it could be two that are bridged together, they were a little unclear about that. The mass does not have a smooth outer edge, it is jagged. This was concerning to the radiologist. I also have a couple lymph nodes in my armpit that are enlarged and darkened. This could be because of the irritation from the lump or it could be that whatever is going on in my breast is also happening in my lymph node. Again, they weren't sure.
So what now? I will go back on Tuesday for a biopsy. There are going to do 3 incisions, one at each end of the large mass and one in my armpit. They will remove a piece of tissue from the lump(s) and my lymph node and send it to pathology for testing.
This process takes about 2 hours and will leave me a little sore. My husband and I go back next Thursday for the results. And I should say at this point that the results could still come back non-cancerous, but they will still have to determine what to do with the mass and how to remove it.


Please keep me in your prayers. I know prayer works! I'd really just like the strength to handle whatever the outcome may be.

1 comment: